Europa-List: Mono Landing Gear

Subject: Europa-List: Mono Landing Gear
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:57:39

Hello all Mono builders

Did a trial assembly of the landing gear frame and swinging arm bits today and
encountered a few problems:

1.  The swinging arm is not in the centre of the landing gear frame.  It is not
out by much, 5mm more one side than the other but it is enough to cause the
swinging
arm to hit the LG frame.  The relation of the arm to the LG frame is dictated
by the welding of the vertical tubes and there is no sideways adjustment
possible.

2.  The big pin LG04 that secures the block assembly to the swinging arm is a
nice
fit and free to rotate in the bushes of the bottom plate LG07 until I adjust
the two plates to the correct dimension of 79mm.  This must bend the plates
slightly because the pin then becomes tight in the bushes and instead rotates
within the un-bushed holes of the aluminium swinging arm.  I find it strange
that the holes in the arm have no bushes especially as there is no mechanism to
stop rotation of the pin.

I am not too worried about 1.  The arm is only 2.5mm off centre and it is to the
port side so will give a fraction of extra clearance for the brake cylinder
and I can extend the cut away part of the arm to clear the frame.

Has anyone else encountered the LG04 pin locking up in the lower plate.  I would
prefer to see some similar bushes fitted to the swinging arm to prevent wear
of the aluminium.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston