Europa-List: 912S sprag clutch

Subject: Europa-List: 912S sprag clutch
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:01:46

I often have a bit of a problem starting my 912S when it has been stopped for
while but is still just warm. I was at the rally yesterday and it took me longer
than normal to start the engine after about 4 hours stopped. Lots of kickback
etc. I tried on one mag, both mags, with throttle, with choke and no throttle.
I have a fairly new red battery and the larger starter motor. I wondered if
the sprag clutch is starting to fail?  Engine has done 650 hours. From those
who have already replaced their sprag clutch, what are the symptoms and at how
many hours?

Richard Iddon

G-RIXS