Europa-List: XS Exhaust System Cracks

Subject: Europa-List: XS Exhaust System Cracks
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:54:15

Hi, I'm suffering from exhaust cracks - specifically in both of the rear
cylinder
downpipes on the inside of the tight bend.  The cracks form around the
circumference
of the bend and when first discovered were approx 75% around each rear
pipe!  They are very hard to spot normally as the location is right out of
line of sight and well hidden.  Each one has now cracked twice, the first
occasion
I found them both cracked and had them welded up, since then I've found them
individually (just found the second one gone again).

History - Fitted secondhand Rotax 912ULS last year (replacing the existing
Subaru)
with a brand new Firewall Forward kit from Europa, including of course the
brand new exhaust, this kit I had purchased 2 years prior ready for finding a
Rotax engine.  The first flight of this engine and new FWF set up was June 2011
and has done 25 hours of flying total since then.  The cracks were first spotted
after 15 hours of flying.

I am 100% confident that I have fitted the exhaust (each time!) carefully and
correctly
with no strain or stress on any of the components.  The engine always
extremely smoothly with no vibration.

I have just e-mailed the factory about it but was just wondering if anyone else
has suffered exhaust problems like this or can maybe offer advice?

Cheers, Jon

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono