Re: Europa-List: outrigger legs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: outrigger legs
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:22:16

Remi,
Maybe a bad batch of legs supplied to the Company. Tell the Company and return
them for testing. They should send another pair out hopefully from a different
batch.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 12/08/2012, at 8:00 AM, "Remi Guerner" <air.guerner@orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi Monowheel drivers,
> I broke one outrigger leg two months ago and flew for a while with an
> emergency
repair designed on site just to allow me to go back home: the repair was made
using the existing remains of the nylon rod lengthened with scrap aluminum
tubing. When I finally received the nylon rods ordered from the Europa factory
I could not use them because they were slightly too short and badly machined.
So I ordered a length of 1"1/4 Nylon from ACS and installed them immediately.
At the first landing, one of the all new legs broke just at mid length. I was
very embarassed as this happened on a big airport were I had the honor of a
jumbo
eight wheeler fire truck! This time I managed to repair quickly as I was
carrying the old emergency repaired rod in the aircraft. I am now afraid of
flying
with the aircraft as it is, as an out rigger leg can break again at the next
landing.
> My questions:
> - How is that possible that a new nylon rod breaks at the very first landing
while the original parts have been able to withstand 12 years of aging, 950
flight
hours and probably one or two thousand landings, some of them not as smooth
as they should be?
> - How is that possible that the nylon rod broke right at mid length, which is
not where the maximum stress is located? Note that the first leg broke at the
upper end which seems logical to me.
> - What is the experience on other monowheels regarding the life of those nylon
rods?
> - has anyone designed and tested a variation of the original outriggers, with
rods made of other materials such as glass fiber, steel...?