Europa-List: Jacking up the mono

Subject: Europa-List: Jacking up the mono
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:44:55

This thread is of great interest as I'm nearing the end of my build.
As I've pondered this issue, I'm thinking that the ideal mechanism
would do the following:

- stabilize the fuselage when wings are detached,
- function w/ and w/o the cowl attached,
- allow for changing of tire and tube,
- allow for testing of LG retraction and deployment,
- allow for the airplane to be easily moved about a hangar in any
direction...think of hangar-sharing w/ other aircraft.

To accomplish these goals, I've been thinking about some kind of
platform/dolly with 3 or 4 castering wheels of sufficient size to roll
easily on turf, gravel, or concrete combined w/ a hydraulic jack and
some kind of a cushioned cradle...

Perhaps...in my innocence...I'm over-thinking here, so I'm very
interested to know whether or not those who have been flying,
hangaring, transporting, and maintaining their aircraft have dealt
with these issues with any equipment other than the standard trailer.

Comments and experience appreciated,

Fred