Re: Europa-List: seals for control surfaces

Subject: Re: Europa-List: seals for control surfaces
From: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:04:44

Frans, I think he means put the foam PVC weatherstrip about where the gap
between
the forward most part of the retracted flap and the closeout is. So when the
flap is retracted, the "leading edge" of the flap just touches and even
compresses
the foam. This should help keep the higher pressure air under the wing
---From going up top.
 So there is no "lip" at the bottom of the slot, the foam strip is attached up
the closeout a bit where the space between the leading edge of the flap and the
closeout is smallest. I have been flying my Mono this way for quite a while
now and have not noticed any negative effects.
 So the objective here is to keep the higher pressure air down where it belongs,
not to "smooth out" the gap between the lower wing and flap bottom surface.

 I think if you attached a Mylar strip to the bottom of the wing to span the gap
to the flap, it would screw up the air flow thru the "slot" when the flap is
down, making our slotted flaps less effective... I think.
Kevin