Europa-List: Re: Vapour lock? Pressure regulator?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vapour lock? Pressure regulator?
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:10:41

Hi Frans,
I am following this thread from the beginning with interest. It is also my
opinion
that your problem is not caused by vapor lock.  I do not think it is a fuel
pressure problem either as lack of fuel makes the engine sputter, not just
loosing
power  as you described.
If your engine lost power while still running smoothly, it is more likely caused
by something wrong with the control system of the turbo. Could be any component
of the system : waste gate, waste gate bowden cable, waste gate actuator,
TCU (hardware or software), sensors or the associated wiring and plumbing.
To  determine if this is the cause, I suggest you try to run the engine with the
waste gate in a frozen position. Stabilize the aircraft at the Barcelonnette
4000 ft at full 115% power. Turn off the TCU switch. Then the waste gate will
remain in a fixed position. Reduce power to idle. Increase power to 115% as you
would do for taking off and see what happens. Repeat power variations several
times. If the engine delivers the power every time without showing the problem
that you experienced, then the cause is somewere in the turbo control system.

Note that the process of taking off with an inactive TCU is described in the 914
Operator Manual, paragraph 3.6.2.
Good luck !
Remi Guerner

Read this topic online here: