Europa-List: Re: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vapour lock? Why?
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:30:52

Frans,
In Kenya I operate my Europa classic with 912UL (ground-adjustable warpdrive
prop)
---From a strip at 5,500' elevation, often when airtemp is around 27-30C,
therefore
density altitude is about 8500'.  I use mogas unleaded (without ethanol),
which is rated at 93 Octane.  My carb lines under the cowling are all shielded
with orange fire-sleave hose.  I usually cruise at 8500-10500' indicated
(density
altitude up to 13,000')

Sometimes, after flight and long taxi back to hangar, it runs a little rough due
I think to vapour, and only once, on a very long taxi and hold, did it really
start to splutter and the port-side carb was boiling (bubbling up into the
equalizer
pipe).

On warm up from cold start, the temps have always stabilized at 70C for coolant
temp, and 60 C for oil temp, and takeoff has been fine.  I have had other
problems
with rough running or lack of power, which I have traced to other things...
one throttle cable not running straight and smooth (scary, I replaced the
throttle box)...  and insect-blocked equalizer pipe from carb to plenum (which
caused the carb to overflow), but nothing in flight I can trace to vapour
locking.

For me, take-off at 4000' is a luxury, with 5Y-LRY climbing out like a homesick
angel...

Best
Richard
Kenya

, a long taXI-BACK I only recall once having a problem with vapour locking,
after
long taxi. when it ran a little rough

Read this topic online here: