Europa-List: Flying within the UK Olympic Restricted Zone

Subject: Europa-List: Flying within the UK Olympic Restricted Zone
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 22:37:03
Hi all,

I know this is a UK specific problem but I thought it best to let as many
know as possible.

We have in the UK a 1 month massive restricted area around London whilst the
Olympics are on.

I have made a few flights under the file a flight plan system (where a text
message is sent accepting the flight plan with an Acceptance Code) all with
no problem, but today was a bit different, and as I have heard of another
person suffering exactly the same problem then it is obviously something
that we all need to be aware of.

I made my first flight down to Sandown with no problems, but on the return
flight, when I called up Atlas Control and gave them my Acceptance Code
Number I was informed that the code was incorrect and I could not enter the
Restricted Zone. This continued for some considerable time with no resolve
and in the end I had to accept a diversion to Lydd to file a new flight plan
to get back to my destination.

Just before I landed at Lydd I was asked to contact Atlas Control and I was
told that it was now ok for me to continue to my original destination but to
contact the Supervisor by phone when I landed.

The phone call clarified the problem. Apparently the text message is sent by
computer and in my case the computer failed to convert the Acceptance Code
in to an acceptable Code and left it in some sort of machine language. As I
say I have since heard of another example who had exactly the same code.

So please be aware, if you file a flight plan to fly into the UK Olympic
Restricted Zone and receive the following Acceptance Code    (mmddcidinit)
please query it as this is a bogus code number.

Dave Watts

G-BXDY