Re: Europa-List: glide ratio XS Shortwing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: glide ratio XS Shortwing
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:07:55

Bruno, It is easy enough to work out next time you go
flying. Just throttle right back and measure height loss
in a timed minute at speeds around 70 kts. Or you can get
a rough answer by seeing what your rate of descent settles
out at on the VSI for a given speed and knowing that 100s
of feet per minute is much the same as knots you  can
divide your airspeed (say 70 kts) by the descent speed
(say 550 fpm) to give 70/5.5 =12.7, that is a glide ratio
of 1:12.7. You may feel that you need a stopped prop to
give you a proper answer, but a stopped prop is thought to
have slightly less drag than a slowly rotating one so the
actual figures would be slightly better than your
computations. For what its worth my XS mono does around
1:12 at speeds between 65 and 75 kts. The optimum glide
angle is unaffected by weight, it just happens at a
slightly higher speed if you are heavy. So the answer to
the 2500ft Q is around 5.6 statute miles/4,9nm, further if
you turn down wind. Having said all that my advice would
be to forget about calculating such things and concentrate
on flying the plane - there are a lot too many stall spin
accidents in such circumstances!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ