Re: Europa-List: Schicke Regulator at last

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Schicke Regulator at last
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:24:01

G-IANI a crit :

> Bob
>
> In the Schicke provided diagram the fuse (0.5amp) is in the line to
> pin 4, which is the voltage sense pin. Our (LAA) circuit puts the fuse
> in the line to Gen Led only providing the protection intended. In
> the Schicke setup if the fuse goes the regulator does not see the
> output voltage so it increases it. We have had a report that this
> fried the battery in one installation. The sense line should never be
> disconnected.

Ian, Bob and all,

Sorry for feeling compelled to jump in, especially since I'm not aware
of your LAA electrical requirements.
We installed a Schicke regulator in our project from the start some 7 or
8 years ago, after performing some in-depth electrical and thermal
experiments.

In my opinion, it is crucial to provide some over voltage protection,
and our circuit includes a crowbar overvoltage module which disconnects
the alternator and regulator from the ship's bus in case of voltage
excursion.
The whole system has been working flawlessly to date.

FWIW,
Kindest regards,
--
Gilles Thesee