Europa-List: Re: N120EJ first flight

Subject: Europa-List: Re: N120EJ first flight
From: AirEupora <AirEupora@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:26:43

On Friday, June 8, 2012, N120EJ soared into the air for all of three minutes.
Cylinder head temps were going towards redline so I had to shut down the engine
and return for landing.

After some work on the baffles and re-pitching the prop it again took off on,
June
11, 2012, only to have to return to land.  Temps were still high again.  A
phone call was made to the Engine Rep in Fresno, Jim Cormick, and he wanted
pictures
of my baffling.  When he called me back he told me that I must be a
Lycoming/Continental
mechanic as the baffling was all wrong for the Jabiru.  I then
ripped the baffling out and installed some new shorter, smaller baffling.

On Wednesday the 13th I took to the air this time I made it around the pattern.
The temps were still high but within limits, but the elevator control felt wrong
and trim was going the wrong way.  Again work was done on the airplane. Pilot's
control stick was move back; elevator control mass weight bar was move
so that the elevator had more down movement;  trim wiring in cannon plug was
switch
so trim would go down when it was press to go down.

The next flight, June 18th, I took off and actually went around the pattern
twice
before having to land.  This time it was the oil temp.  It was getting high.
Once on the ground found out that I had put the wrong type sensor in the
computer
program.  It was reading 56 degree hotter than it was.  I was also able
to download  a flight log of the flight.  It showed that Channel 4 and 5 were
500 degrees less than 1,2,3,6.

Changed the EGT probes out by putting 3 into 5; 4 into 6.  Ground run the engine
and the cool cylinders stay on channel 4 & 5.

Called MGL and they are sending a new EMS.  So I'm waiting to get it and will
fly
it again.

Overall, I'm impressed with the way the plane handles in the air.  It is like a
fast sports car. It leaps into the air.   Im looking forward to the rest of the
flight test program.

Here is picture on the ground.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments: