Re: Europa-List: pitot/static port cover?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: pitot/static port cover?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:39:20
Frans,=0A=0ASo, you have those little plug bugs over there too.=0A=0AI use
 the "Plane Sights Universal Pitot Tube Cover."=C2-=0A=0AI purchased min
e at a booth at Airventure a couple years ago.=0A=0AThis picture is off of
 Amazon.com where you can do a search on "Pitot Tube Covers" to come up wi
th it and a whole host of other options as well.=0ABlue skies & tailwinds,
=0ABob Borger=0AEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914 w/ Intercooler & Airmaster C/S Pr
op=0ALittle Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming AEIO-320 EXP=0A3705 Lynchburg Dr.
=0ACorinth, TX 76208-5331=0AH: 940-497-2123=0AC: 817-992-1117=0A=0AOn Jun
20, 2012, at 09:44 AM, Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl> wrote:=0A=0A
=0AHi,=0A=0AOn our recent trip to Croatia we left the aircraft for two day
s on a=0Avery hot airfield. When we came back to depart we discovered that
 the=0AASI was reading 70 knots... (Luckily our pitot system is air tight=0A
otherwise we would have discovered it during our take off run or later).=0A
Investigation (which is no fun on a very hot tarmac without shadow)=0Areve
aled that the pitot tube was internally sealed off by some=0Asubstance. Ev
en poking and moving with a piece of wire inside the pitot=0Ait was not po
ssible to get air flow through it, despite all the stuff=0Athat came out.
Whatever was in there was even past the 90 degree bend.=0ASome insect had
made a whole nest or something inside the tube.=0AI finally had to take th
e pitot/static assembly out to get it cleaned=0Awith compressed air.=0A=0A
To avoid this in the future I would like to use a pitot cover, but in=0Ath
e past I could never find a standard cover that fits, so after many=0Ahour
s without a cover I thought I could live without one. Clearly not.=0ASo, h
as anyone found some suitable standard cover or do I need to make=0Asometh
ing myself?=0A=0AFrans=0A