Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: woodcomp install

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: woodcomp install
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:08:54

Hi Graeme,

Congrats on your Woodcomp Purchase - we reckon that ours has added close on
10kts to the cruise speed (compared with the Warp drive fixed pitch).

Just one word of warning - have you trial fitted the new prop or checked
that the prop spacer is the correct size for your Rotax engine ?

"not a lot of people know this " but over the years the 912 prop flange has
changed 3 times (ie: 3 different diameter prop flange fittings).

If your prop doesn't match the flange then you have 2 options (1) replacing
the gearbox prop shaft cost 1,000 from Con Air or (2) getting Woodcomp to
supply the correct spacer plate (200) which you can fit yourself.

Third (possible) option is that I have my old spacer plate(as we fell foul
of the above issue)  which fits the newer Rotax engines. You are welcome to
borrow/ purchase our old spacer if this proves to be an suitable solution.

Hopefully though your nearly new prop WILL bolt straight on to your engine
and you wont need to consider any of the above.

If you need the Woodcomp inserts for your Rotax engine  I have 2 sets of
these going spare (cost you the postage-  lol), also some new prop locking
nuts (somewhere).

The original threaded inserts need to be removed (knocked out with a soft
hammer) from the Rotax prop mounting flange.

You may also need to space the slip ring brush support plate away from the
engine. You can either use spacer washers or make a spacer plate from alloy
sheet.

Finally if you need to balance the prop, I have a dynamic prop balancer -
though in my experience the Woodcomp prop is extremely well balanced when it
leaves the factory.

Need any more info just give me a call.

Cheers,
Carl