Europa-List: for interest - float bowl gaskets

Subject: Europa-List: for interest - float bowl gaskets
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:41:47

For the record an interesting thing happened to me with my zenith which has
an aftermarket turbo fitted.

Above 11k full power caused vibration - I thought this was just a normal
"fault" of the aftermarket turbo.  Take off from 8500 etc all normal.
However the problem got worse and manifested itself at lower altitudes.

We put on a vernier to manually adjust waste-gate and the problem showed up
at higher MP - over 34".  Otherwise the engine ran normally.  It felt like
fuel starvation.

New carb vacuum chamber diaphragms, carb balance, full fuel system check,
fuel pressure - no change.   All readings completely normal except for the
vibration and minor power loss at higher altitudes and power settings.

Just out of interest we changed the carb float bowl gaskets which had been
changed recently using rotax original parts.  We put in after market softer
cork gaskets because that's what we had.  This cured the problem completely.

The conclusion was that the float bowls had been dropped or the mating faces
had been damaged in some very minor way allowing air to get into the system
but only at higher differential pressure - higher power settings and higher
altitude.  There was no evidence of fuel leak.  The softer aftermarket
gasket compensated for the minor flaws in the mating surfaces of the float
bowls.

We spent two days and maybe USD500 solving a problem which was turned out to
be a 5c gasket.

Will
Bogota