Re: Europa-List: Re: 914 starts to surge at 3950 RPM

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: 914 starts to surge at 3950 RPM
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 07:17:26

For all those following this thread:

Bud made the suggestion, among others, that it could be leaky carb bowl gaskets.
I removed the drip trays to better check for leaks and, sure enough, there
was blue staining and evidence of leakage around both carb bowls.  I have a carb
re-build kit on order from Lockwood, supposed to arrive on the 23rd.  I am
in the process of removing the carbs for the pending rebuild.  This is not a
trivial
operation.

Europapa, I had a fuel pressure gage installed and it showed good, constant fuel
pressure.

I have replaced the fuel pressure gage with the UMA Differential Pressure gage
which compares airbox pressure with fuel pressure and provided a reading of the
difference.

For those who are interested, I will do my best to photo-document the carb
removal, rebuild and replacement procedure in my Rotax Owners site.  I hope to
start posting pictures in a new album tomorrow.
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com