Re: Europa-List: TBO and Calendar life for earlier Rotax 912s, what opti

Subject: Re: Europa-List: TBO and Calendar life for earlier Rotax 912s, what options?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:21:56

Richard,

I don't know what the Regs are in Kenya or how they are enforced, but here in
the
States TBO is only a guide line, not a hard number.  Folks are free to operate
engines "on condition" for as long as the owner wishes IF they have been
properly
maintained, any A/D's applied and continue to meet proper specs with respect
to compression, oil consumption, oil tests, etc.  I recently read an excellent
article by an A&P/IA on this exact subject.  I don't remember if it was
in Sport Aviation, AOPA Pilot or Flying.  I'll see if I can locate it and
provide
the information therein.  Better yet, I'll scan the article for your own
reading.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Richard Lamprey wrote:

> Greetings to all from Kenya,
>
> My Rotax 912UL is of early serial number, and according to the Maintenance
> Manual
the TBO is 1200 hrs (assuming all service bulletins have been complied with),
and a calendar life of 15 years.  From a factory-inhibited state in March
1999, it has now done 13 years, and 560 hours, so on hours alone it could go
a lot further it runs very sweetly and compressions are amazing.  But, it looks
like I am facing an overhaul in 2014, due to the calendar life.

> According to the manual, the calendar life is 10-15 years, depending on engine
type (912, 912S or 914), and serial number.

> So, basically, and Rotax engined Europa that first flew between (roughly) 1996
and 2002 must be looking soon at a mandatory overhaul, regardless of hours
flown.
Looking at the Europa club register, this is at least 180 aircraft worldwide.

> I am interested to know what others are doing, and what the options are.  I
> imagine
there are three possibilities:
> 1.  Throw the engine away and buy another.  The agents in UK alluded to this,
and seemed to be reluctant to do any overhaul to zero-time the engine,
especially
if they didnt know the engine.
> 2.  Get a factory-approved agent somewhere to do an overhaul.  My nearest
> agent
is in South Africa, which is 3000 miles (and several country borders) away
(where there are hundreds of 912s in operation), and I have had no replies from
any company that purports to be an agent regarding an overhaul of my engine.

> 3.  Possibly?  Return the core to the Rotax factory in Austria, and they value
it, send you a factory-re-manufactured engine, minus the value of your core.
This is common practice in Continental and Lycoming engines.

> It seems a pity to ditch a perfectly good Rotax 912 engine, and spend a
> fortune
getting some new thing in that has the perpetual mandatory SBs that come up.

> Again in UK, there is provision for Continental and Lycoming engines to be run
on-condition way beyond the standard TBO (eg 1700 hrs for a Continental 0-470).
I know of some that have run up to 2600 hrs on condition.