Re: Europa-List: Re: Viking Aircraft engine

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Viking Aircraft engine
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:17:34
Guys,

I'll toss my 2 cents worth into the ring on alternative engines.  Fristly I
would like to preface my comments with the statement that if we didn't try
new things then we would be still flying with stuff powered from designs
that trace there roots back 50 years.  Come to think of it, if we didn't
try new stuff then we wouldn't be even flying Europa's.

Installing alternative power plants is not for the faint of heart, even
proven designs. I recently completed some cooling modifications to my 914
and it was a lot of testing, work, re work and more testing.  My
modifications are trivial compared to something like a Viking.  Even
conventional conversions such as the Jabaru have taken a lot of collective
effort to get them to the point of being a viable alternative.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying alternatives, but please be
aware that once you move away from  the original design that you moving
down a path that will consume considerable resources.

Cheers,  Paul