Re: Europa-List: Re: AC powered fin strobe

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: AC powered fin strobe
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:07:45

On 12/13/2011 06:58 AM, Richard Lamprey wrote:
> I attach again the simplified wiring diagram,
> showing the in series connection, this diagram enclosed with the
> strobe, and also re-confirmed with the original manufacturer Air-Tech
> Inc.

It is indeed in series!
Well, my ideas on this:
The total aircraft electrical power consumption will have to go through
the strobe box and its associated wiring. All of it. This means that if
you put the strobe box in the fin, all electrical current for whatever
avionics you have, will have to travel through the wires, forth and back
to the tail.
This has the following implications:
1) you need to run very heavy wires, to keep current losses acceptable.
The wires do not just carry the current for the strobe, but the current
for the total electrical load of the entire aircraft.
2) You can not install a light fuse, you have to use a fuse higher than
the total power demand of the aircraft. Think about something like 30
Amps. If you have a short circuit somewhere but the current stays below
30 Amps, the fuse won't blow but all this energy is converted into heat.
This is a fire hazard.
3) The long wires will act like an antenna. Alternators AND strobes are
both notorious for their electrical noise. It may have an influence on
your radio.

Therefor, I would highly recommend to put this strobe box as close to
the alternator as possible. This again has the implication that you will
have to run long wires to the strobe bulb, but at least these wires do
not carry large currents.

Also be aware that your electrical system becomes completely dependent
on the strobe box. If it blows open circuit, it takes the whole
electrical system with it. You definitely need to incorporate a
short-circuit switch, to bridge the strobe box in case it fails open
circuit.

There is no such thing as "free electricity". Anything in series with
the voltage regulator will have its impact on the performance of the
electrical system. I can't judge from here how bad it is. But the Rotax
power system isn't powerfull to start with.

Best regards,
Frans