Europa-List: Re: ballistic Parachute

Subject: Europa-List: Re: ballistic Parachute
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:24:28

I did the original engineering analysis on the ballistic chute installation and
helped Miles McCallum make the design changes to the FLYER Europa.

We attached the chute strops to the engine frame and the area around the aft
pins.
The idea being to support the airframe in a level attitude.  The installation
of the chute cannister was to the D-ring.  The straps were to be buried in
channels moulded into the skin (therefore making a joggle for all running loads
in the fuselage).  This was not good and caused local bending which had to
be reinforced with more material (thereby increasing the offset/joggle).  The
loads were high (but controlled due to the BRS furling ring).

The exist hatch for the chute was catered for in the usual way - by means of a
ring reinforement.

The whole thing had to be designed, stressed and re-designed about 10 times,
then
BRS changed the cannister shape, etc.

Miles then decided to can it (pun!)and we concentrated on the taildragger
(reversed
maingear legs) design and sressing.  As Ian says the project lives on and
will hopefully be completed soon.  The aircraft syle is lovely with the reverse
raked gear legs, much nicer than the swiss versions l have seen (and without
all that weight).

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD