Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle /The Solution /The Win

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle /The Solution /The Winner(s)
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 22:55:27
All who like to know what was it

***

One week ago on Sunday I looked, found and solved the source for
vibration as follows:

First I checked the overall appearance of the plane =93 good
Then I took the prop for a closer check and drove the blades to their
finest positions =93 all very exactly 17 degrees (measured from
the tip end).
Then I drove them to the coarsest position =93 all were again same
and 29,5 degrees,
Opened the cowlings =93 just normal inside.
Took off all the sparking plugs =93 one until another were just
great =93 colour like mild milk coffee...

- until I took of the last (!) one: that was #3 (stbd side, rearmost)
and lower one: it was sky blue (a colour like RAL 5015 or Pantone
2925C).

It /they have been on service 57 hrs only.

Attached a pic of it (it was not so easy to photo it to get a correct
colour!).

I replaced all the plugs for new. That was it. As I wrote earlier
=93 My Europa was after service just great.

***
My mistake: I did not try during the flight one week ago the magnetos A
and B alone. I could not imagine that would be a solution for a smoother
ride. You remember =93 one power selection and one rpm-selection
only together was acceptable to continue the flight with a reasonable
vibra only.

***
How could loosing only one plug to make such a hard situation? My only
guess is that it was detonation; below and over certain rpm=C2=B4s and
map=C2=B4s the engine was very unhappy. Why so =93 I am sure
someone of you can explain it. Certainly the plug has been very hot.

***
I consulted a Finnish Rotax agent: during a last decade he remembered
only another case loosing a spark plug from Rotax. That case the spark
was only dead  and no noticeable problems during the flight. His ten
years are equal of well over 200.000 hrs of Rotax flight time (200
planes x 100 hrs /year x 10 year).

***
Dear competitors: I got several answers. Some of them are a bit funny
but all are valuable. Thanks for great inputs. All of you, also those
privat answers.

Only one of you guessed the right answer. That was Bob Yearly by writing
as follows, that was a great list for all of
us, thank you.

Many things to check.
Carbs:
Check for a vacuum leak or a carb intake or carb to manifold leak.
Especially since it seems to have just started and abates at low power
setting.
Check carb balance.
Engine Electrics:
First check ignition A and B separate.
Second check plugs, check coil. (one bad coil really shakes also)
Pull plugs and look for differences.
Fuel :
Check carb float bowls for dirt.
Check fuel pressure regulator for 914
Finally your fuel pump delivery pressure.
Exhaust:
Check no exhaust failure. Look at the entire exhaust for soot, looseness
or failures.
Regards,
Bud

***

Problems: The Rules: one single guess per person, please.

So, Bud is not a winner but that is not a problem for him I am sure.

What is the jury=C2=B4s decision? All of you (who gave a guess or more)
will get a little surprising shipment from Finland: just let me know
your exact address info details direct to

info@rwm.fi

Also the daughters.

Thanks,

Terveisin,

Raimo Toivio

RWM-SYSTEMS
"=C3=A4lyk=C3=A4st=C3=A4 informaatiotekniikkaa vuodesta 1980"

37500 Lemp=C3=A4=C3=A4l=C3=A4
FINLAND

p. 03 - 3753 777
f. 03 - 3753 100