RE: Europa-List: Removal of tailplane assembly to implement Mod 62

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Removal of tailplane assembly to implement Mod 62
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:56:00

Gordon

Firstly have you considered the Loctite factory mod ? Its not wonderful but
it works as long as you can get the Loctite into the gaps between the TP
fittings and the torque tube. I have an additional device which I can loan
you which pressurises the outside using compressed air pressure which forces
the Loctite into the gap.

Failing that dismantling is the only other option which is a pain in every
possible respect but it can be done. I have had the pleasure of dismantling
the tailplane from inside twice in the last 8 years (takes about 4 hours to
do the whole job). I am 6'3" tall and medium build. Just make sure you put
plenty of old blankets/ padding on the inside of the fuselage and a board/
plywood to stop your knees/ elbows denting the structure and probably best
to support the fuselage on the underside (again spreading the load over a
wide area. Also a ducted air supply to the work area is advisable (small fan
blowing air through access hole works). You will need to remove (or at least
disconnect)  the large control tube and the counterbalance support frame. I
cant remember if we managed to remove it completely but its one component
you cant risk damaging.

Just be aware that its not a good idea to reassemble the tailplane using
Loctite (while its being reassembled) as the Loctite will set before you can
get everything aligned - however make sure all the metal surfaces are
degreased (except the bearing surfaces). Once you have reassembled
everything using oversized pins (assuming you haven't done this once
already) then apply the Loctite factory mod to ensure no play develops after
you have reassembled everything.

Don't make the mistake (that we did) of assuming that fitting the oversized
pins (which we made sure were a very tight fit) will cure the wear problem
on its own - it wont ! You need the Loctite as well - unless you are opting
for one of the more substantial mods (I am referring to the "clamp" mod).
When fitting the new pins you need the tightest fit possible (drill the
holes with an undersize drill and ream to the correct size). Don't
reassemble the tailplane components more than once (or more than necessary)
after drilling the holes otherwise you will introduce wear before you even
get the assembly back in the fuselage. You may need a small hammer to drive
the pins home but at least this ensures the closest possible fit.

Hope that helps.

Carl & Dot
G-LABS