Europa-List: about silicon

Subject: Europa-List: about silicon
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:06:01
Hi

Someone was worried about  waxing Europa because
those waxes could contain silicon.

Right.

I contacted AutoGlym=B4s Sales Manager Mr. H
Valimaki and he said there is more or less
silicon, like all the waxes usually today have.
If you wanna have absolutely silicon free wax,
your choise is AutoGlym 01B. No silicon,
quaranteed he stated.

I also contacted Patria Aviation and Mr S Taipale
there. He has a long career with composites and
painting. Just now he is a leader of the group
which is finishing NH90 helicopters.
He claimed there should be no problem with silicon
if the painting is first class.

Then after I contacted couple of gliding clubs:
they wax their gliders two - four times per year.
They recommend using AutoGlym or Korrek -products.
They claimed they have never had any problems with
composite /glass repairing tasks (with gliders
little repairs are usual).
They pointed waxing is very useful and important
because it protects the surface against time,
dirt, sun, water, moisture and insects. Plus
giving some speed advantage and great look.

***

I am waxing my plane two times a year. And I am
still going to do so, with some silicon or not.
IMHO.

Three years ago during a hard sidewind landing my
port side wing=B4s and aileron=B4s trailing edge
corner hit ground and they got a small damage.
There was not any problems when fixing it.

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417

Updated flight hours /landings:

37500 Lempaala