Re: Europa-List: corrosion on pitch torque tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: corrosion on pitch torque tube
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 19:17:42

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

> I found my steel pitch tube (the one that goes on the back of the
> cockpit module) has surface corrosion, mostly near the tab weld
> joints. I suspect the plating must have been stripped off during the
> welding process. The tube is dark brown, almost black, and I am unsure
> if that means it is zinc plated or something else. I was thinking of
> scrubbing the whole tube in alumiprep (dilute phosphoric acid) and
> then painting with zinc chromate primer. I don't have any experience
> working with this type of steel, and what effect if any phosphoric
> acid has, so I would appreciate any input on this.

Andrew,

In my case, all my steel components (Kit #A194) appeared to be raw w/
a blackened finish...there were a few small areas of surface rust
which I removed w/ fine wetsand paper and solvent...I had a shop
powder coat the steel pieces and I sprayed zinc chromate primer on all
aluminum pieces except for the landing gear.

Fred