Re: Europa-List: Mod 71 - Nose gear leg bungee, replacement with springs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 71 - Nose gear leg bungee, replacement with springs
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:25:23
Rob,

I did Mod 71 at the same time I did the Tri-Gear conversion at Bud's
shop.  I have pictures of some of the Mod 71 work posted on my Europa
Owners site under the conversion album.  They are on pages 5 & 6 of the
album.  We had to grind part of the upper hook point off and round it to
obtain a reasonable fit.  We also made up a thin stainless steel sheet
to go over the Landing Gear Frame under the hooks to help prevent wear
to the frame by the hooks (Page 5, about 2/3 of the way down on the
right side, IMG_183post).

Hope this helps.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Europa XS, Short Wing, Intercooled Rotax 914
rlborger@mac.com
Cel: 817-992-1117

On Aug 28, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Rob Housman wrote:

> Thanks Ian.
>
> The plot thickens.  I am working from the May 2006 version of the Mod
71 document ' THE ONE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ON THE EUROPA WEB SITE.
Just curious since you have already provided it, but other than getting
the 2011 version from you, where would I have found it?  I hope that
this has nothing to do with that little disagreement we had with George
III.

> The dimensions in the latest version match the Landing Gear Frame I
have installed although the current LGF is of a significantly different
design.  And now I know that /U+220538 (Fig. 6, May 2006) means 38 mm.
My very slightly larger diameter (39.4 mm) is probably all explained by
the powder coat applied by the factory which is apparently no longer
done.  I=92ll make things go together per Jeff B=92s suggestion,
implemented in my case with a Dremel and an abrasive cut-off blade.