Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question,,,,,,,,Thanks for the responses

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question,,,,,,,,Thanks for the responses
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:50:22

Thanks to all that replied regarding the negatives of a Fixed Pitch prop on a
914.
It was more a revision of knowledge than a serious desire, but Bob Catto is
a very impressive fellow and it got me thinking. As for better abilities in
gliding and stopping re pitch settings and other good advice, I am now the
wiser.
Reg
Tony Renshaw

On 28/08/2011, at 7:12 AM, David Joyce wrote:

> Tony, One benefit of a VP prop that I don't believe has been mentioned but
> which
reference to ground looping brings to mind is that in fine pitch the slowing
down effect of the idling prop is very noticeably greater than in coarse pitch.
If you are trying to glide somewhere and the prop pitch change system still
works, fine pitch is a great asset whereas to stop in a short distance you
definitely want it in fine. On T/Off  fine pitch also takes you very quickl;y
through the dodgy steering phase if you have a mono. Clearly a fixed pitch prop
is going to miss out somewhat on both counts.  So I guess you are less likely
to lose control on the ground and end up ground looping if you have a VP/CS
prop.
>            Incidentally have you looked at the list of flying planes on the
> Europa
Club website where engines & props are listed for pretty much every flying
Europa?