Europa-List: Mode S transponders ?

Subject: Europa-List: Mode S transponders ?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:04:16
What is the current position on Mode S in the UK.

Is it still March 2012 or is it the case that we only need this if
flying in controlled airspace (or Europe) and if so what is deemed to be
controlled airspace (ie: what class of airspace). Some sources are
suggesting it is only the London TMA and parts of the Edinburgh/
Glasgow.

Can somebody point in the direction of a SIMPLE explanation of the
current position.

Looks like a case of having to spend =C2=A31,500 minimum to upgrade from
the current Mode C setup. It=99s a Terra unit who I believe are
out of business (so no chance of an upgrade)

Cost of these units doesent seem to be reducing so is there any point in
waiting.

Carl

G-LABS