Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 07/25/11

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 2 Msgs - 07/25/11
From: Trevpond@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:18:41
Kingsley,

I have a 914 Engined XS Trigear.

A year or so ago, I had a rough running engine, had the Rotax Engineer up

just before the problem started to service it, and then the trouble  starte
d.

When I did the engine checks, all OK, even tried doing them with the  prop

fully coarse, still OK.  Start up the runway, push through the gate  into

full turbo, then the engine popped and banged and misfired!  Float  bowls w
ere
checked, filters changed, fuel flow checked, jets checked, airbox  rubbers

checked, turbo wastegate checked, just about everything you could think  of
.

The problem turned out to be the carb slides.  All they needed was a  very

light polish and some lubrication and hey presto, a fully serviceable
engine!  They had not been running level, despite the cables being spot-on
 and
so the carbs were massively out of balance on full throttle.  After the
lubrication, they both operated perfectly and balanced without adjustment.

As your Engine had not been run for a long time, suggest you have a look

and lubricate the slides.

best regards

Trev
G-LINN