Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Pipe Security

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Pipe Security
From: Jeffrey Roberts <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 09:38:31

Jim,
I actually lost mine on takeoff at about 180 hours. I had another one fabricated
with a tab to safety wire it to the pipe. Used a new, much stronger auto clamp
and have never had a problem. Funny... my neighbor found the pipe a year later
while walking. ;-) Told me his neighbor had something fall out of the sky
and killed one of his cow's. He had me going!

Jeff R
N128LJ Gold Rush

On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:16 AM, h&amp;jeuropa wrote:

> On our 914 powered XS, the exhaust pipe that comes thru the engine cowl gets
loose.  We once actually had it fall off, fortunately just prior to takeoff!
We've tried hi temp nuts, safety wiring the nut and made a longer nut from steel
rod which is safety wired, but still the pipe gets loose after a few hours.

> Yesterday, we noticed an old Tech Talk article from Dec 2002 where Andy
> suggests
drilling thru the stub of the muffler and the tailpipe and inserting a self
tapping screw.  Then you are to arrange the screw to be under the circular
clamp.
Has anyone done this and does it work?