Europa-List: Cawling Temperatures

Subject: Europa-List: Cawling Temperatures
From: CHUCK RHOADS <cfrhoads@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:21:43
I have had many of the overheating problems of other Europa 912 Europa owne
rs: replacement of 2 ignition coils ($300) each, and a voltage regulator th
at appears to be failing.  My primary problem was trying to decide if the d
ifficulity was restriction of air in or air out.  My water and oil temp wer
e within normal limits.  Due to the fact that I am not using the standard e
ngine air inlet this cleared up the center of the top cawling.  I added a a
ir scoop, like on muscle cars - from Autozone.  The air scoop was installed
 backwards from normal installations - this develolped a low pressure air u
nder the cawling to draw the hot air out. =0ALast week I did a high speed t
axi run.  The air temp was 98 in the shade.  I had the plane outside for se
veral minutes and the under the cawling temp was 119 before starting the en
gine, I checked the temp after getting the plane back to the hanger after t
he run and the temp was 114.  On a typical flight the temp jumps up 25 degr
ees from ambiance.  After turning the engine off it is still necessary to o
pen the two inspection doors on the top cawling. =0AI will try to enclose s
ome pictures.  If it does not work and if anyone is interested I'll get hel
p from one of my electrical engineers son.=0A-=0A=0A-=0AChuck Rhoads=0A
__=0AChuck Rhoads=0Acfrhoads@yahoo.com=0A328 Sarah Elizabeth Way=0ATaylorsv
ille, KY  40071=0A=0A=0A502-526-3831