Re: Europa-List: 912ULS ignition failure update

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912ULS ignition failure update
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:06:57

On 06/03/2011 09:06 PM, Guerner Remi wrote:
> Some lessons learned or re-learned:
> - do not believe that a redundant system cannot fail completely: in this
> instance it did.

Maybe it didn't. Most likely one failed first... but as you have two of
them, and one is sufficient to start the engine, you never noticed that
one was broken. You started to notice something when both were gone.

Maybe it should be a good habit to start the engine at one magneto once
in a while, to check that that single ignition module is still able to
spark at cranking speed.

> PS: now I have the alternator red light coming occasionally. I have
> ordered a new regulator today (just another 110 Euros!)

I wonder whether your alternator is still ok. It is the same thing that
generates the power to the spark modules. Maybe the new spark modules
can handle the weaker alternator, but the fault was really in the
alternator. Maybe the static magnet got weaker over time.

Frans