RE: Europa-List: Re: Bonding of upper fuselage

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Bonding of upper fuselage
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 05:26:32

>'As a note I put the landing gear in before installing the top.  This
caused some problems with the wing pins.'

_____________________________

I love this type of info. I am doing my wing pins as close to the end as
possible, so the gear is in already and can't affect the positioning of them
(which are still to be done). However, the top wasn't on when the gear was
installed, and the trueness of the stab tube has not been rechecked. I
figured that the landing gear area was so stiff (and not much surface area)
that it should be fine. Now I will have to go back to re-measure all
references, just to make sure my fuse didn't have the same problem. Thanks
for the heads-up!

One note about the top: On my aircraft, when it is installed with clecos
into what will be its final position, it twists the stab torque tube 0.5
degrees (port side moves up). Hence, the top installation -may- cause the
lower fuse to shift slightly. My torque tube bearings were installed and
trued as if the top were on. If your top was installed after the wing pins
were set up, this could cause a shift in the wing pins as well. I am toying
with the idea of cleco-ing the top in place during the whole lift pin
installation (in lieu of gluing..granted, gluing would be better), and hope
to keep the very tight 1/20 of 1 degree tolerance. The gain would be an
easier flap mechanism installation.

It looks like someone is actually enjoying their stay in the dungeon of doom
:) LOL

Greg