Re: Europa-List: vernier throttle [was: throttle actuator authority]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: vernier throttle [was: throttle actuator authority]
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 21:57:00
Rowland,
Verniers are great for throttles for aircraft which need a very fine
adjustment like on the Beechcraft you flew. (I personally am a fan of
the Debonair, loved it and the vernier prop control was really necessary
due to its linkage.)  However, by a chore I mean that you must come up
with some sort of single to dual cable arrangement that is full proof
and easily adjusted.  The support of the cables, the vernier end and the
fittings will run you well over $100.  The vernier screw has a lot of
leverage so it can easily pull hard enough to bend the idle throttle
stop on the Bing style carb, so some sort of stop has to be included in
the mechanism to prevent bending the stop from inside the cockpit when
screwing out the throttle in the pattern.  The ergonomics of the Europa
interior make a vernier motion and attachment and plumbing in the panel
a bit difficult without some time consuming cutting and fitting.  Some
of the nicest were in tunnels that were cut down to allow a flat area to
rig the mechanism.  I've even seen one through the panel, which makes
panel removal more of a pain.  I prefer to pull the panel quickly to get
behind the panel work done by easily removing the whole box, so I have
never done such an installation.

I have found that a lever is just dumb simple and the max and idle stops
are a breeze to fabricate in minutes.  I have spent hours making a lever
to easily adjust my throttle friction to lock my throttle from creep,
yet be easy to move in formation flying, and frankly it was a waste of
time, but a fun exercise.  Whereas the vernier has a lock built in.
(Yes, I nearly cracked up a Zenith 701 during a STOL power off 35 knot
min roll landing test, when on final, Roger, the Zenith factory pilot,
locked the throttle on the pilot side while I was flying, which also
locked my instructor side throttle.  Luckily I swapped ends at the last
second and prevented a bone crushing landing.  Needless to say we
discussed it over a beer.)

The Rotax / Bing carb does not require a very fine adjustment so I see
no need for the extra time and effort on the installation, but by all
means if you are interested in a one of a kind, personally customized
aircraft, that is the beauty of the kit aircraft.  If you want it, go
for it.  It is your time and patience.

Regards,

Bud