RE: Europa-List: place for venturi -in air duct?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: place for venturi -in air duct?
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:29:40
Graeme,

I thought we had left venturi's in the history books.  My experience with
them goes back to Luscombes and Austers.  They were always rather dudious
bits of kit that only work at all, at reasonably high speeds. That was when
they were fitted externally on the wing L/E or side of the fuselage.  In
this position they create significant drag.

As you intend fitting it/them within the cooling duct be aware that on the
basis of 'not getting something for nothing' you will be interfering with
the engine cooling. Though I have not seen actual pictures of it you will
find that the flow lines within the air intakes under the engine will be
very turbulent which will not be appreciated by a venturi which relies on
smooth or even laminar flow to work well.

I personally think you would be much better off with a new fashioned Vac
pump or all electric/electronic instruments.

Just my input for further comment.

  _____