RE: Europa-List: FW: Will Daniell's wing - not as bad as I first though

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FW: Will Daniell's wing - not as bad as I first though
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:20:46

Frans

Yes I shared your concern.  My heart-failure wasn't over the wood.  It was
over the bite that I took out of the upper spar cap.  I think that I
remember someone telling me that something like 90% of the load is carried
in the top and bottom 10% of the spar - or something pretty close to that.
Maybe some wiser head can clarify or confirm this statement.

So yes the advice from Bud and the UK is:
A.  there is plenty of strength in this area
B.  Place a 6 ply over lapping bid +/-45 so restore the strength of the root
plies on the front face of the spar.

Will