Europa-List: Mono undercarriage

Subject: Europa-List: Mono undercarriage
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:14:42

I am refurbishing some slightly bent bits in my U/C ( bent after an
encounter with an unseen dip, while landing in an unprepared farmer's field)
and find that the 2 shock absorbers/dampers are pretty much shot. They are
10+ years/800+ hrs old so may simply be suffering from old age (like the
pilot!) In looking through the build manual I see that these are described
as optional. Does anyone have an educated view of the benefits of fitting
them or not ( you can assume that I shall not be landing in too many
unprepared fields!)
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ