Europa-List: Electrical Question (Basic)

Subject: Europa-List: Electrical Question (Basic)
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:25:16

Just a couple of basic questions (my electrics knowledge is very basic)

I'm wiring up my new secondhand Rotax - upgrading my plane from a previously
installed
car engine conversion.  95% of the aircraft wiring aft of the firewall
is common to both thank goodness but I have a question about the alternator
switch.

My panel currently has a combined double battery/ alternator switch unit - one
of the red coloured double rocker type switch units exactly as found in Cessna
150's - in fact it has "Cessna" printed on the case.  My previous set up had
a battery solenoid (still keeping that) but the car-type alternator output was
controlled by switching the field on/ off via the alternator switch.  Thus both
switches had very low load through them.

My limited understanding is that the Rotax does not have a separate field like
a conventional alternator and so the output from the regulator must all go
direct
to the positive bus via the alternator switch.  My question is - can anyone
advise if this Cessna switch is man-enough for the job?  - it has no rating
markings on it and I can't find it in any catalogues to check it's rating.  (It
looks pretty chunky but size isn't everthing so to speak).  Do other people
use these or is it best to have separate switch units?

Second quick question - the manual advises to connect a diode across the starter
solenoid coil.  Do people bother to do this?  If so, can anyone advise a neat
and easy way of physically connecting it.  I have one and can think of several
ways of bodging it up but would much prefer a professional looking solution.

Thanks in advance - any help appreciated! Jon

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono

Read this topic online here: