Re: Europa-List: instrument sub-panels

Subject: Re: Europa-List: instrument sub-panels
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:34:30

On 11/10/2010 10:02 AM, Steade wrote:

> I used .080"  (2mm) seemed about right . After I cut all the holes there
> is not much left and the panels have to support a lot of weight after
> they are populated.

I used 2mm too. Keep in mind that my panel is much larger than the
standard Europa panel; if it works for me it should work for you too. It
is true that after the holes are cut the panel appears weakened, but
populating the panel stiffens it up considerably. Actually it is more
rigid than before, as the instruments have less tendency to bend and
flex than the aluminium sheet itself.
I used one horizontal T-shaped stiffener reduxed in halfway down the
panel. The panel is strong enough to support all instruments, but I made
an additional support at the rear of my electrical gyro because of its
length and thus leverage.
I operate the Europa mainly from a bumpy soft field, transport the
Europa for every flight over the road on its trailer, so it sees a lot
of vibration and bumps. So far, after nearly 100 hours, the panel is
holding up very well with no signs of fatigue.

Frans