Re: Europa-List: Re: Top fuselage- rear flange gap problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Top fuselage- rear flange gap problem
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:58:30

Jeroen, I guess that is why UK permit aircraft have the same mechanical
accident rate as  certified aircraft, whilst US rates are 3 times higher.  I
am pretty sure there are set industry standards as to how much overlap you
need to provide full strength at a joint. There are a lot of things of
consequence that my inspector taught me, such as getting just the right
degree of wetness when laying up glass (to give optimal strength and
lightness) and the critical importance of sanding very thoroughly  any
surfaces you are going to bond. If you can find a glider repair firm in your
part of the world it might be worth asking there for a bit of direction.
         Best of luck, David