Europa-List: MG Airbrake question

Subject: Europa-List: MG Airbrake question
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:50:00

Hi motorglider guys.
Has anyone made any changes to their airbrakes ? I find they requires a lot
 of force to hold them in the fully open position. The air pressure on the
bottom half far exceeds that on the top.Because of that it is also impossib
le to get the maximum deflection of 60 degrees. I mounted an angle indicato
r=2C and it shows about 45-50=2C which severely degrades their performance.
I don't understand why nothing was ever done about this. They have been pro
ducing these wings for about 11 years now.The obvious solution to me is to
reduce the area of the bottom half=2C either by putting in holes=2C or trim
ming back the trailing edge.These brakes are not really necessary with the
engine running=2C but are essential when I get to making dead stick landing
s.
Karl