Re: Europa-List: Seen at Oshkosh

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Seen at Oshkosh
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:01:05
Steve,

I was at KOSH.  Did not see the Warp Drive folks.  Must not have wandered
through
the muck and mire into the right area.  Yup, it looks pretty radical to me.

I did stop at the Airmaster booth and talked to Martin.  There was a nice
looking
prop with light weight, composite, blades from Sensenich.  Martin said that
they were working on both 2-blade and 3-blade versions.  He also said that Bud
was testing one of them.  I'll be at Custom Flight Creations in about a week
and a half.  Maybe Bud will have some "poop" to share by that time.

Personally, I like the idea of lighter blades.  Since the present WD blades will
already push the Europa to near VNE, not much advantage in going faster.  BUT,
lighter blades should have lower rotational inertia and be easier on the
gearbox.
Maybe allow one to cruise at a lower MP at the same RPM and airspeed for
better fuel economy?

Check six,
Bob Borger
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Europa XS, Short Wing, Intercooled Rotax 914
rlborger@mac.com
Cel: 817-992-1117

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Steven Pitt wrote:

> Rumour had it that Warp Drive were in discussions with Airmaster to develop a
new and more flexible propeller in place of the exisiting installations.
> I met with the Warp Drive team at Oshkosh and they agreed to me publishing the
attached photo of their 'work in progress'. Looks radical to me but no doubt
others may have views on whether this is the way to go.