Europa-List: Teflon & Steel Pin Hinge: LAA Mod?

Subject: Europa-List: Teflon & Steel Pin Hinge: LAA Mod?
From: Richard Churchill-Coleman <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:09:12
Dear Listers but particularly UK builders (and flyers),

I've read a lot on the list about using the Gary Hall teflon and stainless
steel hinge kit and I have bought it ready for the build.  There are
comments in the archive from some people who have actually used the kit but
I can't tell if any of them are UK builders.  I asked Andy Draper if there
was an existing prototype mod and got this response:

"I have found no record of a mod that uses Teflon around the control surface
hinges so you will need to submit a mod application for it.  I did do an
investigation some while ago and established that the stresses on the
smaller diameter wire were acceptable, but I don't recall the wire size nor
the reserve factors, I'm afraid, so you'll need to go back to first
principles to provide this info."

Do any UK listers have a mod number or other data to support a mod?
Alternatively, perhaps off list, let me know if any inspectors have allowed
these changes without classifying it as a Mod?

Thanks
Richard C-C