Europa-List: Re: Inquiry into getting some Flight time in a Europa Monow

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Inquiry into getting some Flight time in a Europa Monowheel
From: Troy Maynor <wingnut54@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:23:19

Hi Jeff P.

I tried to reply to this post yesterday on a computer at work but hit a snag
somehow
with the forum. So here is the belated verses:

Hi Jeff P.

I am still trying to get the hang of it myself it seems at times. I only have 37
hours only in my Classic Monowheel so I am no expert. However, I would advise
getting 6-10 hours in a tail dragger just prior to first flight, followed by
some right seat time in a Monowheel if possible. If not, just think about
looking
far down the runway, getting approach speeds exactly as the book says. Do
it early when it is calm and no crosswind. Get a picture of the correct deck
angle in you perifereal(sp) vision but look way down the runway. When the
tailwheel
touches first the stick should by now be all the way back. Add or keep a
little power on to arrest a too fast settling or a bounce if it occurs. Don't
try to salvage a crappy landing set up. Go around and try again. Less shame in
that than bouncing all over the runway. Use turf if at all possible when
starting
out. Expect the bird to leap off the ground and be ready with right rudder
when you gently throttle up. More importantly,(for me anyway) was to expect
it to want to climb very steeply when it leaves the ground. I actually have to
put in a little nose down trim before take off and my weight and balance if
right on. Hope this helps. Email me off list if you have any questions.

Troy Maynor

Read this topic online here: