Re: Europa-List: fuel contamination

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel contamination
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:38:03
Graham,
How true.  I don't think Mr Funnel is even 120 microns.  Ultralight news
tested it at .005, which is about 120 microns but who knows.  We are not
labs.
I have not been a fan of gascolators as I am in Florida, and have never
seen water in a Poly tank from sweating, but I am sure it is possible.
My fuel drains seem to work, and the filters supplied catch the crap and
the float bowls, have always been clean ((ish) except for in line debris
post filter I failed to clean once) and the filters allow me to switch
tanks when the filter begins to clog (noted from the fuel pressure
warning using my FP-5).

A single gascolator, as you know, is a single point of failure, and many
have installed two.  Why not have two filters and a tank drains as the
manual indicates.  I thought that was pretty sound.

Andy from Andair at Sun n Fun last year told me the same thing about the
gascolator screen and we shared how to inspect (you can't except to
disassemble it) and clean them.  Since then I don't even consider a
gascolator.  This is a personal preference.  Filters are clear to see
in, easy to change, cheap to buy and good enough for me.  A quick
disconnect makes it a breeze to pull out and take to the bench and
service without dripping all over the place.  If I had a Marvel Schebler
Carburetor I'd use a gascolator.  You can drive a truck through the
orifice.

As for old Jerry Cans, cleanliness is next to Godliness, pay attention
to where you get your fuel, Mister Funnel only is a catch for big stuff
and water when refueling in the rain.  Keep an eye on your filters,
clean your tank annually, inspect, inspect, inspect, and throw your
filters out every 25 hours along with the old oil and filter...

Ground your aircraft and your Jerry Can.  Those wool sweaters and
plastic bed liners can generate quite a spark.  More on fueling at Rough
River.

Thanks for your insight as always.

Bud.