Europa-List: Rotax 914 running without electric fuel pumps

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914 running without electric fuel pumps
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:23:46

Fellow Europaphiles,

I ran my Rotax 914 today for the first time without using the electric fuel
pumps.
It ran solely one the Billet mechanical pump.  Just a test run, at idle,
allowed to warm up to operating temps and did a short (2 meter) taxi to test the
new brake system.  First  baby steps in making ready for a return to flying.

The engine started immediately and ran smoothly once I had the "Choke" set.  It
quickly warmed up and as it warmed the "Choke" was reduced to keep the idle
below
2200 RPM.  Once warmed up, a brief burst of power to get it rolling and back
to idle for a short taxi.  The new brake worked well.  I still have a small
leak at the banjo to brake cylinder connection.  I need to work on it tomorrow
morning to see if I can get it stopped.

I have posted a 1minute video from the test run on my personal web site:
http://gallery.me.com/rlborger

If I can get a copy of the video exported in QuickTime, I'll post it on my usual
build web site in the Billet Pump album along with the rest of the associated
pictures.

Dan at Billet Pumps is sending me an updated pump and pressure regulator.  They
are supposed to arrive tomorrow some time.  I will replace the existing pump
and regulator with the new set as soon as possible and begin further testing
with
hopes to fly again some time this weekend.

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.