Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 Intercooler

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914 Intercooler
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:12:58

On 06/07/2010 12:12 AM, rparigoris wrote:

> Hi Frans. I did speak to John Hurst and he said he measured airbox
> temp and especial at altitude it dropped with intercooler.

I don't know how hey measured it. It is hard to make a valid comparison,
unless you have fitted a valve and can close off the supply of cooling
air flowing through the rad.
After I couldn't measure any temperature difference, I fitted such a
valve... And found out that the intercooler has no measurable effect.
Tested with 115% power, and at 10.000 feet...

My findings are supported by the following theories:
1) Naca ducts are bad in providing ram air. They merely "allow air to
get in".
2) The intercooler is in a 90 degree angle towards the supposed stream
of air getting in via the naca duct. Now, turn your water radiator 90
degrees into the airstream. Let the air first slam the wall, and then
find its way upwards to the radiator. I guess you wouldn't be surprised
to find out that the cooling rad almost stops working.
3) Is the cowling a high or a low pressure area? Where does the
intercooler exit its air into?
4) Radiators that work correctly collect contamination (dust, bugs) over
a while. I can find plenty of these in my water radiator, but have found
none in the intercooler. Has anyone find such contaminations in his
intercooler? I asked before but so far everyone keeps silent about this
(which may be an indication that some people are just starting to
reluctantly wondering whether their setup is effective at all)...
5) Intercoolers don't need "just some air" to work properly, they need
loads of air, due to reason that they need to cool something with a very
small temperature difference.

Frans.