Europa-List: Engine Mount Strengthening Mod

Subject: Europa-List: Engine Mount Strengthening Mod
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 20:26:50

Gidday,
I have just reamed out the undercarriage frame tubes that support the welded
engine
mounts attachments. I'm not convinced this is a good mod, at all. If the
premise is to stop flexing of the attachment frame top tubes, I see the load now
being focused on an area of circumferential stress, created by the end of the
reamed tube and the closely proximated vertical bolt that holds the frame into
the tunnel. The metal tubular inserts apply all the load on their ends, which
is where this transition of internal diameters occurs, right up agains the
bolt attachment.  I am lucky as  I have not yet installed the bolts. If I had,
I would be very concerned. I personally reckon for anyone who hasn't done this
mod to extend the inserts the entire length, and then drill through both tube
and insert for attachment. This will obviously mean reaming out the entire
length too, which can be easily done by welding an extension on the reamer. So,
in anticipation of "doing it my way", I am interested in advice on what type
of metal the insert would be please, for ordering purposes. For those wanting
to consider this option, the longer inserts require 2 x 200 mm long x 16.5 mm
dia x 2 mm wall thickness. In anticipation.
Reg
Tony Renshaw