Europa-List: Mode C in Germany and France

Subject: Europa-List: Mode C in Germany and France
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 17:24:03
I am planning to fly down to Provence (from Norway) early this summer.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Mode S will not be required in
neither Germany nor France if I stay out of controlled airspace and under
5000 ft MSL.  That should not be a problem, there are many airfields I can
use outside of C and D airspace.  Certainly, I will be permitted to make a
precautionary or emergency landing at a controlled airport, but:

-          will I be permitted to take off again, after the technical
problem has been resolved or the weather has cleared (I assume that
deteriorating weather may qualify for requesting precautionary landing
permission) and fly out of the controlled zone, without having a Mode S
transponder??

Does anyone know, or know where I can get a reply to this question?

Svein

LN-SKJ