Europa-List: europa club subs renewal problems

Subject: Europa-List: europa club subs renewal problems
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:09:16

Some people have had problems in logging in to the Europa Club
susbscriptions renewal pages.

I have identified a couple of specific problems and am working to correct them.

One issue that caused difficulties for the Membership Secretary is
that a number of people have let their membership lapse and then
later tried to re-join the Club as new members, rather than renewing
their previous membership. This has led to duplicate records in the
system. When they came to renew the next year, the system could not
tell which record was correct and so was unable to respond properly.
Creation of a duplicate identity in this way causes a lot of bother
and much manual work in sorting it out.

Please, if you have ever been previously a member of the Club and
want to renew after a lapse, contact the Membership Secretary for
details of how to do it. (If you have your last renewal reminder, it
should contain all the info you need to log in to the renewal area.)

I have done some forensic work on the database and have now found and
corrected duplicate records for the following names:

Foulke
Lamprey
Ward
Lowe
Ashfield
Mumtaz-Ahmad
Vranken
Wighton
Hendra
Glowa
Wheelwright
Crowe

If any of you folk above have been trying to renew online and
failing, the system should now work for you.

A different problem is affecting people with accented characters in
their names. Something (a system update somewhere, perhaps) has
affected the transfer of such names between different parts of the
system with the result that they have become corrupted. It appears to
be some change in the character set representation by some part of
the system but it is proving difficult for me to trace the source of
the problem and cure it.

So, if your name has accented chracters in it (such as acute, grave,
umlaut, etc) it is possible that you may not be able to log in to the
renewal pages. Please be patient - I will try to fix it as soon as I
can, and will announce the fix on this forum.

Finally, if there are any folk out there who could help in the
maintenance of the database system, I would love to hear from you as
I'm getting quite overwhelmed with other things at present and could
really use some help. It would be good if you already know something
about FileMaker Pro, MySQL and PHP, but tuition is available!

in friendship

Rowland