Europa-List: Re: epoxy to firewall bond

Subject: Europa-List: Re: epoxy to firewall bond
From: William McClellan <wilwood@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:30:42

Thanks for the replys, I am at a bit of a loss as I followed my usual routine,
scuff sanding (80 grit)cleaning with alcohol then allowing to fully evaporate
(clean paper towel), laying up the 4 ply on cellophane to insure proper wetting
of the layers of glass, and I had done the surface prep just prior to layup
so not likely and air borne contaminates got on the surface.  In this case I
left
the cellophane on top as I used the instrument panel against it to establish
the mating of the flange and the panel.  No peel ply used.  I would guess that
if any mold release was used in the original creation of the fire wall, it
was on the other side, in any case as usual, I took the surface down to newly
exposed material.  I have tried to separate or pry off an epoxy to epoxy
surfaces
before and it is undoable, but has to be sanded or ground off.  I have also
had to remove a reduxed phenolic pad and it also can only be ground off.  Maybe
it only leaves to do another test lay up as again see if I can pry it off.
Thanks,
Bill McClellan